Sunday, March 2, 2014

March: National Nutrition Month

If you've never roasted vegetables, March would be a good time to try it.


Hold a spear of asparagus near the blunt end. Bend spear to snap the end off.


Cut spears into bite-sized pieces, rinse and drain. I kept them in the refrigerator until I was ready to roast them for dinner.


Toss asparagus with a bit of olive oil and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast at 375 for about 40 minutes. Roasting temperatures and times can be adjusted, depending upon what else you are baking at the time. That's it. The asparagus was as delicious as it was easy to make.


Giraffes #317 probably think it's silly to make a big deal about eating something healthy, since they eat healthy everyday of the year.

7 comments:

  1. Yum - I'd never thought to roast asparagus. Unfortunately, living in New Zealand means I won't see fresh asparagus in the shops again until November ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it roasted. I find roasting vegetables really enhances their flavor.

      Delete
  2. I ate part of a vegetable once. With therapy and proper medical care, I survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm going to be awake all night wondering which part of what vegetable you ate!

      Delete
    2. After numerous sessions with my therapist, we have determined I ate a portion of what is called a 'rutabaga.'

      The memory still haunts me.

      Delete
    3. Vulcan mind meld!

      Rutabaga was the vegetable I was going to guess. Something about you just says, "Rutabaga!"

      Or more precisely: "No . . . Rutabaga!"

      Delete
  3. I was wondering if perhaps Frank at the soil that the rutabaga grows in?

    Sam

    ReplyDelete