Monday, January 6, 2014

Jessie Willcox Smith

Jessie Willcox Smith was one of the most prominent female illustrators at the end of the 1800s and the beginning of the 1900s. She illustrated for books, advertisements and magazines, including Collier's Weekly, Harper's and Ladies' Home Journal.


Alice in Wonderland

Run fast, Goldilocks! This illustration is from a 1916 Swift's Premium Soap Products calendar.


Heidi and a goat

Heidi and Grandfather

The following illustrations are from the 1920 edition of The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald.





Oh, how I would love to have a window seat like this!

A Child's Garden of Verses, 1905

Giraffe #305 isn't an illustration by Jessie Willcox Smith, but I still love it.

2 comments:

  1. I love the illustration of Heidi and the goat. Heidi happens to be one of my all time favourite books.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi is one of my all-time favorites, too!

      Delete