Thursday, August 1, 2013

Albino Animals

Albinism is a complete or partial lack of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes. An organism with a complete lack of melanin is called an Albino. 

The first time I saw an Albino animal was in an article about Snowflake, the world's only known white gorilla. He lived in the Barcelona Zoo until his death in 2003.


I was fortunate enough to see Antoine LeBlanc, a rare white alligator. Antoine was one of three siblings captured in New Orleans.


Albino animals have a tough time in the wild, as they can be rejected by others in their group and they are so visible to prey. Those in zoos have a much easier life, like this deer in Madroa Zoo, Spain.

Image by Paulo Brandao

Llama.

Image by Esparta

Kookaburra.

Image by Lander777

Donkey.

Image by tristanf

Even though this Albino peacock doesn't have the gorgeous colors of a normal one, I think it is just as beautiful.

Image by CHeitz

This Albino tiger is as majestic as any tiger I've seen.

Image by Sudhanshu Pran Kaul

Of course Giraffe #264 is my favorite. Giraffes can run up to 30 miles per hour and can kick their enemies, so this Albino giraffe doesn't have to depend upon coloring alone for protection. Luckily his herd seems to accept him.

3 comments:

  1. The albino peacock is breathtakingly beautiful.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the albino peacock is pretty.
    I liked the deer & donkey too. I'm glad
    the girraffee herd accepted their playmate.

    Pink Kitty

    ReplyDelete