Thursday, June 13, 2013

Making Vanilla

When I read how simple it is to make vanilla, I bought some vanilla beans.


They smell wonderful.


But look at bit like snake skins.


Split the vanilla bean.

Scrape the tiny beans out.




Put the seeds in a bottle. Cut the bean in pieces and place that inside, too.



I poured Rum in one bottle.


And Scotch Whiskey in another. Now it's just a matter of waiting. Since I chopped the beans up, it will be about six weeks before I can use it.



You heard me, Giraffe #250. Six weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, what will you make with your vanilla? I think the variant in the Scotch Whiskey will work well in a creme anglais to serve with a baked winter pudding. Ooh, I've just thought of homemade vanilla icecream... yummy!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use vanilla in cookies or cakes. I've never tried a creme anglais, but it sounds delicious!

      Delete