Thursday, January 3, 2013

Country of the Week ~ India

Is there any monument in the world more beautiful than the Taj Mahal, in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India? The Taj Mahal was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died in childbirth in 1631. Construction was begun in 1632 and took about twenty years to complete.

Image by Yann (talk)

Taj Mahal reflected on the Yamuna river.

Image by www.viajar24h.com

The gateway to the grounds of the Taj Mahal (as seen from the inside) is also breathtaking.


The arches inside the Taj Mahal Mosque are amazing.
 
Image by Mike Bostock
 

Geometric painting on the ceiling of the Gateway building.


Shadows fall across marble flowers in the wall of the Taj Mahal.

Image by Dan Searle

Of course the Taj Mahal isn't the only sight to see in India. The national animal, the Bengal tiger, is a magnificent creature to behold . . . from a distance!

Image by Paul Mannix
 

Royal Bengal Tiger at Dehiwala Zoo.

Image by Hafiz Issadeen

I love the white Bengal tiger. This one looks like a big pussycat. At least while he's asleep.

Image by Esparta

A little less scary is the national flower of India, the Nelumbo nucifera (lotus). Whether bud or fully opened, it is beautiful.

Image by Mullookkaaran

Image by J.M.Garg

Someday I plan to see the Taj Mahal. I will take Giraffe #179, my lion giraffe, to protect me, just in case I happen to run into any Bengal tigers. Doesn't he look fierce?

4 comments:

  1. No he doesn't look fierce. He look cute & cuddly. He may choose to protect you, but that
    Bengal Tiger is so pretty. My Hawkeye thinks he's fierece. I think I should show him this picture.

    Hope you had a nice holiday... I miss you
    xo
    Pink Kitty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how fierce they try to be, girraffees just aren't!

      Delete
  2. Oh, those tigers are beautiful! I love tigers, orange and white. They're beautiful, stunning creatures. And, of course, giraffes are beautiful too! ;)

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete