Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Books, Books, Favorite Books

One of the most enjoyable things I get to do as a first-grade teacher is read with my students. We enjoy humorous books with talking animals and monkeys who get into trouble but manage to get out of it by the end of the book (how do you do that, Curious George?)

I also introduce my students to some classic books that have been my favorites through the years, like the Harry books, written by Gene Zion and illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham.


Harry the Dirty Dog does not like having a bath, so he hides his bath brush and goes out into the world to enjoy a day of getting dirty.


He turns from a white dog with black spots into a black dog with white spots. Will the family he loves recognize him? Read the four Harry books to find out how clever this little dog is.


I love the little bear in Frank Asch's books. Life is interesting, if sometimes confusing, for him.


As he finds out, fleeing from his shadow is not an easy task!



Neither is finding out when the moon's birthday is.


Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman is one of the sweetest stories around.




Baby Bird's quest is a difficult, but delightful one. It's a good thing I love this book so much, because I had to read it many, many times to my nephew when he was little. I wonder if his 6'4" self would like me to read it to him now?


Someday I would like to have a little Scottie dog just like Angus. Poor little guy has some difficulties in the wonderful books by Marjorie Flack. I always find myself wanting to pick Angus and pet him to make him feel better.





Maybe Angus will get lost one day and I will find him. Then he can be my little Scottie.





Richard Scarry has written many books teaching children about their world, each with delightful pictures. How much fun is it learning about opposites by having a tiny kitten trying to carry around her giant kitten doll?


Giraffe #189 is a big help, teaching tall and short. No wonder I love this book.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Richard Scarry's books! I looked for Angus in the Kindle store, doesn't look like they're available in Kindle format. What a pity, my boys would love Angus, they dearly love my sister-in-law's Scottie, Alfie.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot my favorite...the Madelyn books. There is a little darling at church whose name is Madelyn, so I got her a book. =)
    Pink kitty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Are You My Mother?!!! I loved that book when I was little! I also adored Rainbow Fish and all the Clifford the Big Red Dog books. Then there was Chika Chika Boom Boom. :) Oh, the nostalgia.

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Clifford! I so want him when he was a little puppy. He was so adorable.

      Delete