Saturday, November 24, 2012

Country of the Week ~ Iceland

What's the first thing you think of when you see the name Iceland? Maybe ice, maybe cold. I'll bet it wasn't horses. Yet Iceland developed a breed of horses called the Icelandic Horse. They are small, long lived and hardy.

Image by Thduke

They have a double coat that gives them extra insulation in cold temperatures. With a double coat like that I might be able to stand in the snow, too. OK, probably not. But that coat would still be nice to have.

Image by Andreas Tille

Icelandic Horses comes in many colors. There are over 100 names for various colors/color patterns in Icelandic.

Image by Elma

Image by Thomas Quine

I love the contrasting color of the ears on the horse in the foreground.

Image by Elma

How beautiful these horses look, standing in order from light to dark.

Image by David Blaikie

Icelandic horses have a low incidence of disease because, by law, no livestock of any species can be imported into Iceland and once an Icelandic Horse leaves Iceland it is not allowed to return. With this beautiful scenery, I wonder if the horses would even want to leave.

Image by Thomas Quine

I guess I'll have to go to Iceland again to see these beautiful horses in their natural habitat. The first time I visited Iceland was to change planes. All I saw was the Reykjavík Airport.

Image by Jóhann Heiðar Árnason

It was nighttime, so I didn't get to see this amazing view of Reykjavík. Next time.

Image by Girdi

Maybe everyone will think Giraffe #159 is an unusual type of Icelandic Horse, with that cute little pink nose.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh those horses are so FLUFY! It's adorable really. Love it. :)

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete