Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Read-a-Thon, Chapter 2

Do you like to read alone? This illustration by J.C. Leyendecker was for The Saturday Evening Post, Easter 1905. What a hat!

J. C. Leyendecker

The title of this pen and ink drawing by Rosine Emmet Sherwood is "Disgusted with Life, She Retired to the Society of Books." Do you ever feel like that?

Rosine Emmet Sherwood

There is something so appealing about the concentration of this young woman in Frederick Carl Frieseke's 1935 painting.

Blue Girl Reading

Do you like the comfort of reading in bed?

Illustration from Enid Blyton Sunshine Book

Or on a couch?

An Evening at Home, Sir Edward John Poynter, 1888


Or will any old chair do?

Girl Reading a Book, Guy Pene du Bois

Did you ever lose yourself in fairy tales?

Fairy Tales, Mary L. Gow, 1880

Or had the characters in books come alive for you?

Norman Rockwell, "Boy Reading Adventure Story," 1923.

Komako Sakai

Did you ever see a painting that took your breath away? That happened to me when I saw "The Reading Girl," 1850, by Franz Eybl.


While I'm reading I can use Giraffe #112 to have a refreshing drink. And make me smile.

2 comments:

  1. Be still my heart! I love this post. Reading is a wonderful hobby of mine. Of course, I have less time now that I am in college, but I still read whenever possible.

    And my kindle makes it that much easier because now I don't have to worry about bending the pages! :)

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you love to read in a beautiful hat like in the first picture?

      Delete