Friday, September 7, 2012

Country of the Week: Latvia

Latvia is a country in the Baltic region of Northern Europe.


Riga, the capital, is one of the largest cities in Northern Europe. More than a third of Latvia's population lives in Riga. Riga is an important seaport. And beautiful, as this photo by Latj shows.


This photo of Riga, with what look like giant yellow and green insects, makes me smile.

Image by liftarn

I love castles. They figure in so many mysteries and historical novels. Isn't Riga Castle, on the banks of the Daugava river, beautiful?

Image by Latj

Image by Britt Storlykken Helland

Riga has some fascinating bridges, like the Vansu Bridge.

Image by Ricardo Liberato

Image by User:Brunswyk

The Railway Bridge.

Image by Mettmann

And The Wedding Padlocks Bridge. I can't even guess.

Image by Voytek S

The only thing I have to decide is, should I visit Latvia in the summer or in the winter, when I can see the Vansu Bridge across the frozen Daugava River?

Image by Blorg

If I go in the winter, I'd better bring Giraffe #113 to keep me warm.

4 comments:

  1. What a great blog! I love the pictures!!

    I think that the Baltic and Slavic countries are some of the most beautiful countries the world. I would love to travel to that part of Europe.

    I have always wanted to visit Romania. The country is rich in history and beautiful vistas.

    I love to visit museums and castles, also, and there are no shortage of either of these in the baltic countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carla~

      Thank you for the lovely compliment.

      I had never thought very much about visiting any Baltic countries, but now I am very interested in seeing Latvia. I found so many pictures on personal blogs that were so beautiful.

      So many countries to explore!

      Delete
  2. I swear we must have been princesses or queens in a past life. :) Castles are just too amazing.

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princesses, of course! (Queens have to work too hard. :)

      Delete