Saturday, August 11, 2012

South Africans Love Giraffes, Too!

I have a friend that I met on Amazon. She lives in South Africa. Now I knew pretty much nothing about South Africa so it has been really fun to learn more about her country. She will be our tour guide for this post. Her words are in green, to represent the lush vegetation you will see in the photos.

The .... family love to go camping. Our favourite camp site is in a nature reserve called Lake Eland Game Reserve in Oribi Gorge on the south coast of KwaZulu-Natal. It is so beautiful there. We camp with friends who also have a brood of lovely children. The group of them never seem to get tired of swinging in the boat in the playground.


This is Lake Eland. When we wake up in the morning and open the tent this is the sight that greets us.


There is an activity at the Lake Eland Game Reserve for those who are adventurous: You can Zip Line for 3 kilometres (almost 2 miles) over the gorge – 300 metres (100 foot) above ground!


The weekend after Easter in April we were having a picnic at Albert Falls Dam near Pietermaritzburg. A family of zebras came to visit us! I think they are friends with Giraffe #99.



Who's ready to visit South Africa? I'm packing my bags!

Giraffe #99 lives on my friend's balcony shelf. I love knowing that there is a South African giraffe keeping my friend company.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I wanna meet a zebra. :)

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete