Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Anna Finds Herself In A Sticky Situation

Only because I decided to make marshmallows. I called on Martha Stewart for help, and she didn't let me down. First, the ingredients.


I dissolved the gelatine in water in my KitchenAid mixer bowl.


While the gelatine was softening, I boiled the granulated sugar, corn syrup and water. Then, with the whisk attachment going, I poured the sugar syrup in the mixer. 

It's very important to pour the syrup down the side of the bowl lest you end up with strands of hardened sugar everywhere, an outcome which might have happened to me the last time I tried to make marshmallows.

Now the whisking begins. Twelve minutes worth, while I leisurely sat on the couch and played on the computer. One of the joys of having a KitchenAid.

The sticky mixture before.


The sticky mixture after. So fluffy and delicious.



I poured it into loaf pans lined with plastic wrap and sprinkled with powdered sugar. I had the idea of adding a different flavor to half of the batch, but decided to stick with vanilla. Next time I'll experiment.


I sprinkled powdered sugar on the top and put them in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning I cut them into squares and sprinkled more powdered sugar to keep them from sticking.



Et voila!


What's better than a yummy, homemade marshmallow? A yummy, homemade marshmallow dipped in chocolate.


I know you'd like one, Giraffe #96, but you wouldn't want to get your neck all sticky, would you?

3 comments:

  1. "...an outcome which might have happened to me the last time..." LOL!

    I never thought of people making their own marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so easy, too. Of course using the KitchenAid mixer meant that I got to relax while it did all the work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, chocolate dipped marshmallows. Yummy yummy!

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete