Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ad It Up

When I look at magazines I rarely stop to check out the advertisements. But vintage ads, those I would put up on my wall to stare at all day long.

This is an advertisement for milk, by Théophile Steinlen. I have a small postcard of this ad, because I like it so much.



Another by Steinlen is for chocolates and teas.


This one is for Le Chat Noir (The Black Cat), a 19th-century cabaret (entertainment house) in the bohemian Montmartre district of Paris.


This is an interesting advertisement. Not only is she riding a bicycle with a long skirt on, but she's riding on a telephone wire. I have to admit in all the times I've ridden a bicycle it never once occurred to me to try to ride on telephone wires.


Fixing one's hair is very important when riding a bike. And check out that tiny waist!


This ad for Lamport and Holt Cruise Line is one of the cleverest I've seen.


I've never thought about going to Atlantic City, but I wouldn't mind having this poster to look at. I also wouldn't mind having the dress to wear.


I wouldn't mind having this dress, either. And I don't even drink beer. But she does look a little chilly.


Perhaps she could wear Giraffe #103 over her dress.

1 comment:

  1. Some interesting ideas for sure. :)

    -Ani Rae

    ReplyDelete