Thursday, June 28, 2012

Theme-It Thursday

Jessica Hische
is for Jacks. Jacks was originally called Knucklebones and was played with the ankle bones of a sheep. The game has many other names, such as astragaloi, hucklebones, dibs, dibstones, jackstones, onesies, and snobs.

The game consisted of tossing all the pieces on a surface, such as the ground or a table, throwing up one of the knucklebones, picking up one or more of the others and catching the one that had been thrown in the air before it dropped.

Berlin, Antikenmuseum

Today the knucklebones are made of plastic or metal and have six points. 

My Mother's Jacks

My mother was the best Jacks player I knew. She was proficient in such variations as Around the World, Eggs in the Basket and Piggies in the Pen.

Piggies in the Pen

J is for Juggle. I've tried to learn to juggle many times. I practiced with rolled up socks, but all that happened was that I dropped a lot of socks. Maybe this video lesson will help me learn.

How to Juggle Three Balls

And when I become an expert at juggling three balls, I'll try these tricks. Well I can dream, can't I?

Juggling Tricks

J is for Jump Rope. I love watching my students learning to jump rope. It takes an amazing amount of coordination to get the rope to the ground just as you are about to jump. This group from Denmark has certainly figured it out.

Talentholdet

And if one rope is good, two are better. Are you tired yet?

38th Annual Double Dutch World Championship

Giraffe #72 says, "Let the jumping begin."

No comments:

Post a Comment