Thursday, June 21, 2012

Theme-It Thursday

Jessica Hische
is for Birch Tree. The white birch is the national tree of Russia. The website, From Russia With Love, explains about the white birch. 

>>The word “birch” is very ancient and is connected with the verb “to keep, to take care”, since the Slavs considered the birch as the protecting people gift of God.<<


White Birch Forest

Cottage Birch by Rick Harris

Russians drink the juice from the tree. Spring is the main season for harvesting this juice.

Harvesting white birch juice

B is for Blueberry. Blueberries are perennial flowering plants. They are native to North America.


I love blueberries in oatmeal and muffins. When I found a recipe for Blueberry Breakfast Pies I decided to give it a try.

Blueberry Breakfast Pies

I've never been very good at making pie crust, so I bought pre-made crust at Trader Joe's.


I thawed one crust. It was between sheets of plastic wrap so I smoothed out the cracks with a rolling pin.



My largest biscuit cutter was too small to fold over the pies with filling inside so I put one circle on top of the other. Then I used some extra crust to make a mini pie.


I didn't bother with the sugar sprinkled on top or the dip. I knew I would like them just fine all by themselves. And I did!


B is for Bottle. I like to collect interesting bottles. Most are wine or beer bottles that I have asked people to save for me after they have finished the contents. I love interesting labels and shapes. Sometimes I'll put colored water in the bottles. Isn't this tall one beautiful?


I love the toreador's hat on this bottle.


The name on this label makes me laugh.


This label is like a beautiful painting.



Giraffe #69 likes B is for Bottle.


2 comments:

  1. I will have to see if I can find my Grandmother's recipe for Blueberry Grunt. It is a favorite dessert among Maritimers (people from the maritime provinces of Canada).

    I have very fond memories of having it all during childhood...and beyond. My Mother, Grandmother and I would go to the nearby railway tracks and pick the wild blueberries, raspberries and blackberries that grew along the tracks. You can buy these berries in the store, but I can assure you, the wild ones that you pick taste much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try your Grandmother's recipe.

      My grandparents had a farm and the tomatoes they grew were so delicious. Now, the ones in stores often have no taste at all. I can only imagine how delicious the fresh berries you picked were.

      Delete