Thursday, June 14, 2012

Theme-It Thursday

Jessica Hische
is for Zebra. One of my favorite animals, after giraffes, is the zebra. Who can resist those stripes? And did you know that each zebra's stripes are as unique to them as fingerprints are to humans?

There are three species of zebras: Plains zebra and mountain zebra, which are more horse-like in appearance, and Grevy's zebra, which has a more ass-like appearance. This picture is one of the first one's I downloaded when I got my laptop. Aren't they adorable?

Zebra buddies

This picture makes me laugh every time I see it. They're probably laughing at the person who took their picture.


Brown stripes are natural among newborn zebras. They turn black between 9 and 18 months. ZooBorns.com is a wonderful site where you can see baby animals born in zoos around the world. You can bet I've checked out all the baby giraffes on the site.

ZooBorns.com

Z is for Zither. A zither is a musical stringed instrument.

David Dupplaw,

The theme for the movie, The Third Man, was written and played by Anton Karas. Carol Reed, director of the movie, discovered Karas, who couldn’t read or write music, playing for coins at a tiny Viennese restaurant and hired him to compose the score for the movie. Click the link to watch the composer play this awesome piece music.

The Third Man Theme

Z is for Zucchini, a summer squash that is very easy to grow. I know because my mother and I once had a garden and it was one of the few vegetables that actually made it to the table. (Don't even ask about the beautiful pea plants that were almost decimated by a gopher.)


The flowers of the zucchini plant are edible, though I never tried them. I loved watching the zucchini plant emerge.


My sister in law gave me a great recipe for squash pickles that I haven't made for a long time. Since I had some zucchini I decided to make it for this week's theme.



I used 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cider vinegar and 1/4 cup white vinegar. In the square of cloth I tied 1 tsp. of pickling spices.


I simmered these ingredients until the sugar dissolved. Then I added the vegetables and simmered until they were tender/crisp.

The amount of sugar and vinegar can be adjusted. The original recipe called for 2/3 cups each sugar and vinegar, but I found it too sweet so I decreased to 1/2 each. This was perfect for my taste.



From this angle Giraffe #65 looks a bit like a newborn zebra.

2 comments:

  1. Giraffe #65 looks like he's ready to pounce on the pickled zuccini! Better watch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Hopefully he's too short to open the fridge. :)

      Delete