Sunday, May 20, 2012

Of Automats and Bobby Pins

I've just finished a very interesting book called The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston. It tells the story of Frankie, who receives a scrapbook for her graduation in 1920 and chronicles her life in photos and memorabilia. 

Source

It's fun to see pictures from the 1920s and 30s. Many made me long to have experienced life during that time. For instance, the Automat. Ever since the first time I saw it in a movie I wanted to eat in an Automat.

Source

Sadly, since Automats are no more, I will only get to experience eating in one second hand. In this case, through Frankie.



I remember my mother putting her hair up at night with Bobby pins. These pins were used to keep bobbed hair in place in the 1920s.


Bobby pins came in  black, brown, bronze, blonde and gray.


Nowadays Bobby pins come in as many varieties as one could imagine.

Etsy

Etsy

Etsy

Yes, even giraffes.

Etsy
 
Etsy

Giraffe #56 thinks wearing a giraffe on his head is a fine idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment