Thursday, March 1, 2012

Theme-It Thursday

is for Russia. I had a love affair with Russian culture when I was in college. I loved the onion domes of St. Basil's cathedral and the mysterious Cyrillic alphabet.

Even though I didn't learn to speak more than a few words or phrases in Russian, it came in handy when I went to Moscow and Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) on a tour. 

I told everyone that Pectopah was Restaurant. What looks like a P is actually an R sound in Russian. The C is the sound of S. And our H is their N. Education does pay big dividends.


R is for Red Square. The name is derived from the meaning of the Russian word, красная,  meaning "red" or "beautiful." Lenin is on exhibit in the building to the right.


I was fortunate enough to be able to see St. Basil's cathedral at night and it is spectacular.


R is for Russian nesting dolls, Matryoshka. I bought a set when I was in Moscow. They are so much fun.


I had a student who went to Hong Kong and brought me back another Matryoshka. Isn't it beautiful?


And one of my students gave me this little pin. So sweet.


I would love to have these dolls. Aren't they beautiful?


This set is available online at Kaboodle.com, along with many other cute nesting dolls.


Of course, I had to find a giraffe nesting doll.


Giraffe #13 helps me keep my hands nice and soft. So helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment