Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Eternally Pretzel

Awhile back I made the poor woman's turtles. And still having pretzels left I decided to make a couple of other sweet treats. One recipe I found online and one I created.


The first recipe is called Valentine Pretzel Buttons. These are very similar to the turtles. Place pretzels on a lined baking sheet (they used the square pretzels; I used my pretzel-shaped pretzels.) Top with a Hershey's Hug. These are white with brown stripes. Or is that brown, with white stripes?


Bake at 200° for 4-5 minutes. When they come out of the oven they should still hold their shape. Oops! You are supposed to place an M&M onto them and press down. Needless to say, not much pressing was needed here.


I tried again with a second batch and when the Hugs were still firm, I couldn't press the M&M down. A minute later they had lost their shapes, poor things. So I did what any good cook would do: I put the M&M on top and pretended that was what they were supposed to look like! Do you think anyone will turn them down?


Not quite as beautiful as the original picture but then again, nothing I make ever really looks like the original picture. Still, it's the taste that counts, and these count very well.

My second recipe turned out much better, mostly because I didn't have an original picture. All I had were chocolate chips, pretzels and candy canes.


I always keep candy canes in my freezer, since I never know when I might want something peppermint flavored. If I should run out of candy canes I run to the store and pick up a package of peppermint candies. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave until smooth. Dip a pretzel in the chocolate and then in crushed candy cane.


The pretzel buttons are good, but these are even better. Nothing like chocolate and crushed candy canes to put one in a Christmasy mood. In February.

No comments:

Post a Comment