Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Popped!

Today is National Popcorn Day. Yippee! Well, not really. I mean I like popcorn, but I couldn't even find a "Merry Popcorn Day" card anywhere. What kind of a special day has no card for it?

My favorite popcorn is Harry and David Dark Chocolate Moose Munch. Alas, it's also expensive so I rarely buy it.

I decided to celebrate by making my very own Moose Munch. Being as I am out of moose (mooses, meese?) I looked at some caramel corn recipes online. Some required a candy thermometer, which I do have but rarely use because it takes too much time. Some required corn syrup, which I do have but rarely use because it's so sticky.

So being the creative person that I am I took butter and brown sugar, melted them, poured them over some microwave popcorn and put it all in a low oven for about 30 minutes.

Then I melted chocolate chips and stirred that into half of the popcorn mix. Into the fridge to set, a quick stir et voilĂ :

Anna's Mooseless Munch!

OK, it may not be the best Moose Munch in town, but at least the moose is happy.



If you want to learn a little something about the science and history of popcorn check out Tomie de Paola's The Popcorn Book. You'll find out how much popcorn Americans eat each year and what area of the United States loves it most.


And now I am going to settle down with a good book, a dish of Mooseless Munch and my pal, Mr. Moose. Happy Popcorn Day!



3 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. I'll see what Lin says. But first... have you eaten any of it and what was your final judgment? Does it pass the taste test?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, but not as good as Moose Munch. I didn't really expect it would be, so I wasn't disappointed. And I'm not having any trouble eating it!

      Delete
  2. I liked it....and you made me hungry for some popcorn...I'm having tea I wonder how popcorn tastes with it????

    pink kitty

    ReplyDelete