Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reading the Classics

I was forever promising myself I would read more of the Classics. It took getting a Kindle and a 16-year-old poster to get me to start fulfilling that promise.

There are many Classics in ebook form so when I began posting with a high school student and found she was reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte I realized this was my chance.

I downloaded a free version of Villette and began. My posting buddy says she likes Villette even more than Jane Eyre. It's been too long for me to remember Jane Eyre well enough to compare, but I will say that Villette is one very beautifully written novel.

The action takes place in France. The writing is exquisite. I've never been one for a lot of description, but Bronte's is some of the best I've ever read. She had me feeling like I was right there with her heroine, Lucy, as she was trying to escape two men on a cold, foggy night. Well done, Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment