Monday, January 30, 2012

Here Be Dragons

January 23 began Chinese New Year 2012, the year of the Dragon.

Do kids like dragons? Of course we do! So in the spirit of Chinese New Year my students made their own dragons.








As my students were happily creating their dragons I heard one little girl sing out, "Now I can totally scare my sister!" What else are dragons for, after all?

And what would any celebration be without books. Fairy tales, legends and fables are universal.


One of my favorites is The Five Chinese Brothers, the story of brothers with special abilities which they use to avert a sentence of death.



Tikki Tikki Tembo is the story of a boy with a long name who falls down a well. The name of this little boy is Tikki tikki tembo no sa rembo chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo.




The Story About Ping features a little duck who has an overnight adventure because he does not want to be last to board the boat which is home on the Yangtze River.



So what am I having for lunch today? Chinese noodles, naturally.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy this day...I have a good friend who is chinese & one year I made her a RED blanket. She was pretty excited.

    Pink Kitty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Red is just really, really, really pink, isn't it?

      Delete