Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Good Letter

When I first got Kindle for PC I proceeded to download a gazillion books. Free books. If it said free I was getting it. By the time I got my Kindle I had amassed quite a number of books.

I never stopped to think that just maybe not all of these books would be good. They were free. What did I care?

Along about the 600 mark I realized I did care. I knew it was time to start weeding and reading. I decided to give each book the twenty-page test. If I wasn't interested within twenty pages I'd toss it.

The first book I tried started out great then bogged down so I skimmed until the end, which I read. I can never resist finding out how a book ends.

The second book was full of punctuation mistakes, and I could only take four pages. Gone. The third book didn't really sound good, so I read a few reviews. I was right. It wasn't for me. Deleted.

Kindle Lighted Cover Fits Kindle Keyboard
Finally I was on the fourth book~a murder mystery. I started reading and by the second page, yes the second page, I was hooked. So hooked that when I went to bed I
couldn't sleep and got up and read some more. That was fun, because I used the light on my new Kindle cover.

I downloaded Her Last Letter by Nancy C. Johnson in December. As I read I was anxious to find out more about the murder of the young woman who wrote the last letter. Specifically, of course, who done it.

This was an interesting book because I quickly came to realize that not much was happening. Yet I was still captivated and enjoyed the pace and style of writing. When I finally reached the end I was satisfied. It was well worth the read. Photography and skiing were major factors in the book, and I love how the cover reflects that.

So after I finished I read some reviews. Several 1-star reviews said so much of the book was dull and mundane and could be skipped. I found it drew out the suspense.

One reviewer even said something about the cover not making any sense. I actually left a comment because that seemed like such a odd statement. How could the snow-covered mountains not make sense when the characters skied, and how could a photographic negative not make sense when the main character used photography in her business and a key piece of evidence was a photograph? People really do see things from different points of view.


Now, on to more weeding!

1 comment:

  1. I am just loving this blog. The author is so astute and interesting! I really am loving the blog.

    And I think the experience you are describing is pretty universal for new Kindle owners. It is so hard to not take something that is free. But free doesn't mean cheep if it costs our limited free time to sort through it.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete